This battle of HAIR is real I tell you




I had just cut my hair a couple of months back, and now three months later I am wearing a weave. I couldn't take feeling invisible and staring at my hair every single morning to see a difference. I was tired of this. I needed a weave. But even after I got it done, I still felt complete disgust for myself. 

My decision to stop feeling disgust for myself, actually began on the Gautrain on my way to Sandton. 

I was sitting there by myself, trying desperately hard to ignore whispers from the Venda guys on the next seat, who were debating about my hair. "Is it hers? " said one of them, another said "no look, it is a weave". I shook my head, thinking don't they have anything else to talk about, like soccer? They then continued to mutter in Venda and laughing. I shook my head again and thought it doesn't matter what they are saying, I am going to wear this weave with pride. 

Eventually one of them asked "Is it your real hair?"I looked at him and said "It is a Brazilian weave that I bought, so it is mine". I am not sure if my response was harsh, but he just turned around and they just stopped talking. 

This happens a lot to black women, and it is difficult to undergo such scrutiny. This is real a battle, I tell you. Such observation annoys me to the core. Someday's I wake up and I am okay with having a weave, then other days I wake up feeling hatred for myself because someone made me feel fake about getting a weave. Then I go through a depressive stage where I feel like I need natural hair to feel real. How did 21 year old me get through this? I remember when I was 21 I wrote a piece titled I am not my hair. In this piece, I was trying desperately to convince our African brothers that when you approach us do not judge us by how we look or what hair we have. I mean, how does having a weave equal to being fake? I have met sisters with natural hair, that are as fake as fake can be. And of course vice versa, girls with weaves who are also fake. But there are also real people on each side.

This little notion actually put me in a situation whereby I would see a girl with natural hair, and I would compliment her but then in my head I would have these wicked thoughts about how she is little Miss Perfect. I had begun to hate another sister, who only preferred to grow her hair naturally. Then this hatred quickly became me wanting to be one of the little Miss Perfects.  
One morning, I called my hairstylists and said I am shaving it all off to start all over again. My hairstylist of course, supported me. But then, within a month I would look at myself in the mirror, and I did not feel perfect at all. I had natural hair, but hated it. I did not even feel the need to make an effort. Then it just got worse. I then met men, the very same men who ignored me when I had a weave, they were now all over me, and now the ones who gave me attention when I had a weave were ignoring me. I literally laughed at myself. 

I... allowed a mans view of what I should be, define me. Even worse, I let it make me feel like I am in competition with other women. This needs to stop! 

You know growing up, I always believed that women are indeed complicated. But the older I get, the more clearer it becomes that Men are the complicated species... African men to be specific! (Since I have never dated outside my continent).

  I mean for us ladies, we do not beat around the bush.  If we are attracted to yellow bones, we stick to yellow bones, if we like some dark chocolate brothers (like myself) we stick to those. But a man? A man would meet a nice weaved girl and then spend time wondering and asking her "why don't you grow your hair naturally?" If you are paying for her hair, you are forgiven. But if not, well why don't you go ask a natural haired girl out and leave weaved girls to men that do not mind. 

Men who do not know what they want, are the reason some of our sisters can never be happy with themselves. You find girls who are not happy with being dark skinned, or girls who are not happy with being curved or skinny. It is not fair.

My African brothers, you say you do not want a woman who will try and change you? Well, we also do not want a man who will make us feel like we are not good enough the way we are. If we feel there is a need for change or adjustment, rather support us, do not try to turn us into your little dolls. 

I still stand by what I said when I was 21, STOP LOOKING AT THE CONTAINER, LOOK AT WHAT IS CONTAINED INSIDE. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear God, Please help my black people

How to dress for a Job Interview

Loving you online