That Interview Question: "Tell Me About Yourself"

For years, I have dodged this topic; hiding behind theories and reasons on why it is impossible for someone my age to ever completely know herself. But for once, I actually know the answer.

The question isn’t whether or not I know myself, the question is ‘do I know myself enough to know what I do not like, what I love and most importantly what I am capable of’. It is a very short question, but it is really asking so much.

Tell me about yourself?

I know I love Spongebob Squarepants; so that tells you that I am still in touch with my childlike side. However, I love Criminal Minds and Pretty Little Liars, and that says what exactly? I am very curious about the mind of a criminal yet I am still girly, so I can go eew at the sight of blood.

The reason why I am bringing up this question of “who am I” or “tell me about yourself” is for when you get into a job interview. A place where that one question gets people from being the possible candidate to ‘we really don’t want to see you again’.

It is simple really, when an interviewer asks you “tell me about yourself”, this question is about your journey in this career. Whether you are a newly graduate or someone who has been in your specific industry for long, it is about why you want to do this job and why you think you can.

When I was asked, I traced my writing skills from when I was 8 years old. This shows the interviewer that I am very passionate about writing, it has not only become my talent but also my career choice; something I am willing to fight for. I went on to talk about my educational qualifications, what I studied and why I chose them and how I felt about them. And because I have work experience, I spoke about my experiences at the jobs, and what I wrote about.  

Just because someone is asking you to tell them about yourself, don’t make the mistake of telling them something that is not relevant to the job or connected in some way.

Graduates with no experience might think they have nothing but you must try show the willingness to learn. Having a degree does not guarantee wisdom. It is base but it not everything. My advice for graduates for when you go to interview, even one where they are specific about experience, make them know why you can do this job, give them examples of when you were able to learn something fast, it can help.

This question can change everything for you.

When you saw the job in the classifieds, remember that feeling you had, and you told yourself that "I can do this". Now get into that interview room, and tell them why you can do the job. If it is a job that requires your hands; don't only tell them that you are good with your hands give them an example that can work as proof. 

The question is very intimidating I know. You feel trapped and placed in a position where you are not sure what is relevant and what isn't. You probably wondering 'why does it matter that I started writing at the age of 8?' For me it matters because it says I have been writing for a really long time. Relevance is very important. 

Interviewers are not looking for someone who can be perfect at the job, they are looking for someone who can do the job and be happy about it; because to them it means you will do the job well, you will do a lot of it and most importantly you will do it as best as you can. 

I know you are scared, but don’t be. Your CV (Resume) got you this far.

If you have questions about preparing for job interviews or trying to get one, leave me a question and I will help you as best as I can.


I make it my mission to help as many people as I can to get jobs. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks, that was helpful Yolanda

Popular posts from this blog

Dear God, Please help my black people

How to dress for a Job Interview

Loving you online